Sunday, January 29, 2006

notes from Africa, chapter 9.

Things have been relatively quiet since my last entry. I have spent a great deal of time reading and reflecting. It seems time is moving at a snails pace these days. Usually, I would love that I thought time was moving slow – I am continually in awe of how things in my life that I never think will end, end. However, this time is different. My time has been slow because my normally very complex lifestyle has been reduced to a decently constant routine. It is not completely constant, but, for me, it seems dramatic. If my life, seen in molecular terms, is usually: C6H3Cl2NO2 1,2-DICHLORO-4-NITROBENZENE, this past couple weeks have been reduced to a simple H – Hydrogen. I have been teaching, preparing for teaching, reading, writing, and being in my little box before dark each night.
DAYTIME:
Teaching is phenomenal. I especially like my form 3 students; they ask the best questions. The more I continue to teach the more I appreciate the students’ concept of learning. They understand that it is their only hope for doing well in life, and therefore have no intentions of slacking. Friday, a girl from the form 4 class asked if I could assign them a bit more homework next class period. I thought I had assigned a hefty chunk. The students do not want to be shorted during their opportunity to learn. Preparing for class has been a fun experience as well. Preparing lessons is fun and challenging. Sometimes it is a struggle to put the time into the lessons the students deserve, but it’s nothing a good cup of chai can’t fix. I can see why some universities give their professors one day of the week to pursue their own studies.
Other than teaching it is more of the same as I stated in the last blog. I have been still helping at CHONESUS. I am currently working on putting together a seminar on “discipleship” for the young men in the group/whoever wants to come. I am looking forward to it; however, I am still working on how I want to present the issue. Yesterday Timm and I had a little time in the afternoon so we went down during ‘School’s lunch break’ (all the school’s take lunch at the same time in Kibera) and played with a bunch of the kids. It had been a little while since we had just played with the kids. It was refreshing. Timm brought the video camera. Man do those little guys love to seem themselves (on the flipped-to-face-them viewing screen) move around! We lost track of time and I was almost late to teach one of my afternoon classes. Sometimes if you are late to class another teacher will steal your class period and just teach their subject (weird culture huh?). I ran and made it just in time for the bell (I guess I am the same guy whether I am a student or the teacher).
Oh, and by the way, the new school is built; it is the fastest construction project I have ever seen in my life. Although, I think it helped that it is made entirely out of scrap wood and corrugated tin. It is completely 'Other' to any construction I have ever seen/been a part of. They just work with what they have, which is virtually nothing. It is a multi-building complex (I wish I could show you a picture or two but I currently lack the technology) that serves the immediate purpose, but I am fairly confident it will only last three or four years (but then again what do I know).
NIGHT:
There really is quite a rift between my days and my nights. Really…I mean my days are full of African culture, Swahili speaking, teaching, walking, bartering for avocadoes, meeting various people, and learning about Africa. The nights, in contrast, are full Concrete-room culture, English speaking, reading, sitting, eating avocadoes, having no interaction, and learning about myself. Last night Timm and I attempted to go out around 7:00pm to watch a futbol game at one of the local joints. After making it to the end of our street, being harassed 95% of the way, and finding out that the game wasn’t actually being shown that night we decided it would be a good idea to head back home; However, we did meet another mzungo (whitey) that lives near us. So last night, Timm, myself, alex (the other whitey), and a couple of our African friends made African food and enjoyed dinner together. The variance in the routine was wonderful.
Lately…I have been thinking about my struggle to love people before they even open their mouths without that love being a shallow love. I spoke about this in my last blog entry. Shortly after posting the blog I received an e mail from my bro offering a suggestion to help me think through this odd dichotomy. He asked me to think about the relationship between unconditional love and anonymity. At first, I couldn’t get much out of it but after spending some healthy concrete-box-time with it…I think there is a relation.
I want to love people before they even open their mouths, but I don’t want to love-shallow. Unconditional love is loving no matter who finds out. It is completely anonymous, and therefore the best love is a love that loves no matter whether the person being loved knows they are being loved by you or not. Love never fails. Love, and trust that it will be the right thing to do, even if the person you are loving does not even know they are being loved. Loving someone is to continue loving them in an intentionally anonymous way. Regardless of them finding out how much you loved them. But love never fails, so don’t not love because they will know it is you…just love and trust that, that is the ticket. It is always done with an anonymous spirit; that is to say, a spirit that is not concerned with the outcome, just the loving. Love won’t fail. Believe that (I tell myself). That love is not a shallow love but a love deeply rooted in God, and it is by loving God with all your mind, body, soul does love for others flow out. Love Christ. Realize when you love God with everything there is no room to lop off a piece of your love for something or someone else. Love God with all of it…then…then my friend your love will be deep and meaningful regardless of whether or not you have any idea of whom you are loving. You could meet someone for the first time and love them unconditionally, and you could have a longstanding relationship with someone and love them unconditionally. The condition does not stand that you will do anything for them, or ‘love’ them directly unconditionally; rather you love God and let that mitigate all the ways in which you love others. Thus your relationships model the tri-force (Zelda reference). The love between you and those in your life is full because you love God with all your being, and then from/through that you love others. It seems the relationships I have with different people are radically different; however, the model of love that I have to love is singular in nature.
It is possible, only because of God, that I can love someone that I hardly know and that love not be shallow. My love is not shallow, even though it is a decision; it is something that has grown in me from God…it is something involved with all aspects of the self. Some of it I am able to articulate and much of it I am not. From a certain angel, the way I love people is the coalescing of my entire Christian life. Inclusive of all my intellectual conjectures, emotional Rolla coasters, spiritual growth, and life-in-community. What matters is how I love the Other. What matters is where, exactly, I stand with Christ as I know him today, this minute. And then that will dictate how I love when faced with the Other. It is because my relationship with Christ/God/Holy Spirit is so unbelievably meaningful (to me) that my love is so meaningful (to me...). Love never fails. I can love someone for the first time. I can ‘decide’ to love them without even knowing them and it is not shallow. It gains its depth from my journey into the interior of my Christianity. The further that journey goes the deeper/more meaningful/able my love becomes. A women loving a baby is not an exhibit of shallow love, even though the baby might still be in the womb thus making it impossible for her to have even met the baby (sort of...). Mothers are insanely in love with their kids (right mom). Whether she acknowledges it or not God is the reason for that love because God is the one that taught her the meaning of love. She is in love with that baby because she is in love with God in a way she doesn’t really know…I think it is some sort of anonymous love of God?. It is like…her love for that baby is meaningful because of God…because God is love, and if God is love than where ever love is, there is God as well. When she is loving her baby, it is completely meaningful because of God whether she knows it or admits it. It seams like so much flows from love/God.
I don’t think Christianity is a provable theory; it is metaphysical. Christianity cannot be proved anymore than any other transcendent concept, but if you believe in love, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, joy, goodness, faithfulness, self-control, the building up of others, encouraging, helping, gaining character, treating others as beautifully perfect, sacrifice, being passionate…if you value these things…than I think Christianity is the best route to take. I felt an inclination to these things and they opened the road to see God, and the more I got into it, the more I learned, the more I realized that God is so perfect. The more I realized that Christianity was by far the best way to live my life… if I wanted to live like this. In the end it was just living the Christian life that somehow made me fall in love with God. In the end it is so simple: just love God. It is almost ridiculous, but, as Einstein said, “ things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” The journey toward God (which I am just now beginning), toward unconditional love, is hairy, complicated; it is a thrilling self-propelled ride. It takes dedication, thought, sacrifice, and so much more, most of which I am not aware of, …but in the end…love God. Simple.

So, I guess that is what I have been thinking about lately. I think it is funny how I start out with these depressing predicaments in my writing/thinking and they all end up being mini-redemption stories. It seems they always end pointing to God; full of grace and love. I guess they end that way because I am a Christian and I can't be sinnicle all the time. I am critical of the problems and then let it go for God to redeem. Man it is sick (with a 'ph') being on the same side as God.

welp. I suppose I will leave you all with those thoughts and struggles. If you guys could pray for a couple things I would ask that you would pray for:

figuring out a good way to present "discipleship".

That I would fricken be able to sleep at night. I have been doin better, but I did not sleep at all last night. (When I say that things have been quiet lately, I mean for me, African's are the loudest people in I have ever come across). I think I haven't been able to sleep b/c my mind won't chill about so much, and...the slum is super loud...all night.

that I would be in the present. Whenever I am in a routine I immediately start thinking about what I will do next. I need to forget about my time this spring/summer and just think about now.

that I would not get too stir crazy at night...i'm freakin' out a little...(it's pretty funny, if you want a laugh you could ask Timm about it someday)


Alright. Peace dawgs.

L dizzle and the middle Gould: Remember that time we took that road trip to Chicago for Becky's wedding...Remember how we had to drive in a big circle just to get on the I-76 from Thornton...what were we thinking? Oh, and then, on the way back how Madaylyn had to pee so bad that she said that the sound of Kate's voice made her half to pee even more...Gosh, that was fricken halarious.

Kelly: I have been thinking about what you said about God's love being expensive, and I couldn't agree more. When we love it is the out-pouring of our entire Christian life. It's like all our time going through the Bible, talking about what we think about life, disciplining ourselves, praying...all for the sake of love; of loving. On another note, I heard you might be moving to San. Fran,...truth? Thank you for your kind words, I don't take them lightly; I look foward to some walks around Golden this spring (if your around).

Paul: I love you so fricken much. How could I forget? Remember that ride out west (i think it was the beg. of your sophmore year) I was still in high school, and I was driving out with you and then going to fly home. I do. I remember on that trip you told me that you thought I had changed and that, basically, I was stomach'able. That motivated me so much to fight for the inner life. I remember that moment with pointiant accuracy; it was, i think, the first landmark in my journey.

Mgraine: I read the poem aloud (in a quiet voice, in the internet cafe) to myself. I then read your comment. I then burst into tears. I don't think you know how much your words encourage me to fight to actually be honest.

J$: the Trifecta...mmm...The only thing I know about Malaysia, besides being able to point to it on a map, is that my tennis raquet was made there. I spent many hours standing on a tennis court at Beachwood staring at the little sticker "made in Malaysia" on the butt-end of my tennis raquet. I am excited to hear of your developing thoughts on love. It is so fricken cool that you are allowing those things to transform you. I look foward, immensly, to the oatmeal and decaf.

Kaettie: Thanks for the words. Thank you for being excited that I am here, it is sweet to hear that you are in support of me in that way. I hope that times in Golden (and it's close surrounding cities) are bumpin' the community. Oh, and I concur - South America is heaven.

Deja: Have you ever seen the movie 'waking life'? It is sorta a classic in my book. It is like a cartoon/moving-characatuer-drawing type animation. In one of the conversations, that the movie drops you in on, there is an old italian (he might not be italian) philosopher having a discussion about 'the holy moment'. The quote you shot me reminds me of that scene. I have tried to have 'holy moments', in a real way, and in a fun way - either way I think it is fun concept. If you haven't seen the flick, check it out. Even if you don't like it, it will be an interesting film to think about. Also, I learned how to make chappatti's last night. They are amazing. As far as spices go, I will have to get back to you, I need to check. Too, nice save with the cake, sounds sweet (there's a double meaning there...ha...), I will have to see pictures when I return.

Lo: I can picture you. Perfectly. Sitting at a computer in the library hurrying before that stupid timer kicks you off, teli-ski'n the freshies with that ear to ear grin, akin to the grin of the grinch who stole Christmas, plastered on your face. I can picture you living huge, and loving every second of it. Lo, it blows me away that you would be surprised at the way I love you. You are seriously one of the easiest people in the world to love. Your world is chill and full of laid-back love. Your character and lust for life is contagious. The way I saw you love was: direct. I find that sometimes I it is hard for me to say how so and so loves, because it is honestly just hard to see; but, not you, your love is evident. All the fricken time. I miss you like hell man. I can't wait to sample the world of Loren, and the world of 1203 soon.

booshortyboboos: Those pictures are fricken sweet. You guys went over to Parker's house? Oh, man, I wonder how that cat is doing. Is he not one of the sweetest kids ever? Oh, sorry about the cell phone thing...It wasn't actually my phone # that I gave to my parents, it was one that i had access to for that time period. I would have loved to hear from you. I hope that stuff is rockin for you in outskirts of chi-town. Are you excited about Laurel moving back to chi-town (even if its for a short time)? You guys have soo much fun together. I hope my house was suitable for all your partying with Laurel on New Years. I have spent many, many new years down there. Welp, catch you later friend. Oh, by the by, I think you owe me a mix cd...

Dina: Well it seems like the majority of my memories come from those unplanned things. I think I am stuck on the 'Strengh' one, of the nine requisites. I don't think I fully get the concept of forsaking my difficulties. I am going to have to think about that one some more. Afor-ee-sto for your prayers, they are much needed.

Big J and the oel's: FRick! I love fricken hear from you so fricken much, you frick. The monatarily focused can be an intensely difficult crew to love. dude, i'm sorry that the jackson chill vibe is void, minus the huge chunck of chill-goodness that you bring with you where-ever you go. Listening to your words is so encouraging for the future. I think the other day I was feeling sad about the state of things in my life, and when I come back to the states what I am coming back to. And, I know that you are in Jackson, but your words make me look foward to coming back to Golden - where so much of your influence still resides, and coming and chilling with you in jackson. Hearing the way you speak about life gives me hope that there are more people with that amazing uninhibited lifestyle, in nooks and crannies around the world. As i live my life over here attempting to love, it is so good to hear I have a friend attempting to love in Jackson. We are faced with the exact same thing, just in different places. Man, I feel like we are travelling partners on the same journey, and, to be honest, most of the time we are hitch-hiking. I love you, skate ski your heart out.

Steph: Lady, step inside my Hundiii. There is no better tune. Fear not, I took the time to actually sing through a good portion of that song under my breathe in the internet cafe. I, for sure, got a wierd look from the korean dude next to me...but then again, he was playing some inter-galactic shoot-em up game with his, paid for, interenet time. I hope all is well with you in the dale of glen. take care.

Hahn and the monster therein: oy nam, ti si nekcirf teews ot raeh morf uoy. I tnac eveileb ereht tnangerp! I evah ooos hcum evol rof uoy. I tnac tiaw ot klat ot uoy ni lluf liated tuoba ruoy efil. oh, and the 'santa's little work shop' comment is still one of the funniest things i have ever heard in my entire life, without exaggeration.

10 Comments:

At 12:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love – like a multi-faceted diamond. So many little sides – each full of color, light and brilliants, all connected at every side to complete a whole. Same as love. So many sides and angles love seems to take but ultimately the same shape forming the same diamond – God. Sitting in Golden with a big cup of hot tea (ohh you are going to have to try Twig tea if you haven’t already…it is really great!!!) covered with a big blanket and talking with Tamara until the wee-hours of the night, discussing life/God and all the in-betweens - has been wonderful. I too have been learning sooo much more about love/God every moment…sometimes I want to just jump with ecstatic joy, spreading the passion for God, for his amazing grace, his presence being truly pure and sometimes overwhelming. To look at another being and see only light – seeing only God in his presence, and respecting him wholly for the simple knowing he was creating by God, same as you, and we are part of the same brilliant diamond – oohhh my heart wants to burst!. And even if they don’t know/understand/feel the love that exudes, in a deeper knowing Gods’ presence softly moves. How can we not want to uplift, to bring joy, to shine our same vibrant colors into the warm sun and help awaken the other parts of us – until God is literally beaming! This morning as the sun rose to start another day the clouds turned a brilliant gold…breath taking and all I could think of was how truly – utterly amazing…non describable the beauty of heaven will be…seemed to be a glimmer of the infinite expansiveness of God -

I am constantly reminded by the simplicity of Galatians 5:6 “ The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.”

I am praying for you to stay in the present moment– I can remember the same struggle when working in Switzerland and as my time for end approached I wanted so badly to soak up every ounce of time left, from the smells, noises, trees, laugher, faces… but my mind/dreams keep wondering fiercely into the future, seeming to make clutter…distraction. I am so excited for your return and want to sit /talk and hear so much more! – but pray your time until departure (and always) is fully surrounded by God – breathing it all in and exhaling His love.

Prayers continuously – deep peaceful sleep -

DeJa

--- I am excited to check out “waking life” --- Thank you! ---

 
At 5:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

SanFran = Truth. Yeah, I'm figuring out a lot. It's fun because I've gotten really used to not knowing. I'm flying out there in a couple of weeks to check out where I want to live. If it's anything like I expect, then it's where I want to be. The apprenticeship I would be part of begins in September. There will still be time for walks...
I'm praying as always.
-Kelly

 
At 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,
I have been checking out your blog over the past few months and I am encouraged by what you are doing in Africa. Reading what you write is helping me get a better feel for missions. I pray that you continue to let the Lord work in and through you. I miss you and seeing everyone (colorado people) together. See you soon?

 
At 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

On loving others before they speak (or even after...which occasionally is harder):
I understand this is not possible without God's love flowing through us. On my own, this sort of love is so contrived. I am bad enough at loving those I enjoy being around and who are "easy" to love. Loving difficult people or frustrating people and having the courage to enter into those situations is so alien to my human condition. Phil, what say you to the occasional Christian urge or desire to love the difficult and frustrating? Is this God's spirit moving in me or my desire to be heroic? Sometimes I think I will challenge myself to do it for the sheer fact that it is noble to put oneself in the position of loving such a person.
I mean, sometimes God asks us to do things that are hard. And then I also hear that whatever we do for God we should do joyfully. I straight up suck at doing hard things joyfully. I admit to not having mastered the art of depending on God for that joy/strength. Still, if He asks me to do something hard and my heart is stubborn but I choose to do it regardless...is this true obedience? I generally turn the potentially beautiful situation into shreds as I cannot really commit to the selflessness of
of my "noble" pursuit. And is it really noble/altruistic to put yourself in a difficult situation? I mean, perhaps it is still self-centered in an indirect way. "Building my character"..."oh, I am doing such a difficult thing." (A bit like those mentioned in the New Testament who fasted and displayed their suffering & hunger.) How can I do a difficult thing for God without acknowledging its hardship? It seems I might end up struggling with one of the hardest challenges of my life all alone. In quiet. And this seems torturous to say the least. What about community and the sharing of sufferings? Eeegad! I want to obey God but am terrified! It is sooo hard.
I really value that you are facing this...these questions..or so it seems. Thank you for sharing your desire to love and also for accepting the violence of Afrika and walking toward it and not away from it because I know that is a tempting response.
when do you come home?
by the by, this quote of yours is awesome:
"This is why religion is hard. It forces you to be who you want to be."

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Didymus (der Blinde) said...

I am impressed. Your thoughts are challenging and subtle. You are exploring this by a way I hadn't seen. Well done. In case you've got some spare brain-time in the box, here are a few more angles I would love to see your thoughts on:

"You could meet someone for the first time and love them unconditionally, and you could have a longstanding relationship with someone and love them unconditionally" - Yes, but how are these things different; how does knowledge of the affect the character (not of depth) of the love and its conditionality?

"She is in love with that baby because she is in love with God in a way she doesn’t really know…I think it is some sort of anonymous love of God?. It is like…her love for that baby is meaningful because of God…because God is love, and if God is love than where ever love is, there is God as well. When she is loving her baby, it is completely meaningful because of God whether she knows it or admits it. It seams like so much flows from love/God." - Look closely at the grammar of God and Love here. Are they different? What makes the '/' grammatically possible here? Is it telling that the mother need not acknowledge loving God? What would be the case if you did not acknowledge loving God, how would that change the rules of this game?

And last, what does it mean "to love through God"? - what would it mean "to eat or to drink through God"? Is this different from eating or drinking? What is going on here?

Einstein rocks.

I love you. I bought a phone card today . . .

 
At 10:24 PM , Blogger Didymus (der Blinde) said...

I learned somthing else:

About 36,800 tonnes of 1,2-dichloro-4-nitrobenzene were produced worldwide (excluding Eastern Europe) in 2001.
1,2-Dichloro-4-nitrobenzene is a basic chemical for the synthesis of intermediates which are further processed to
herbicides, bactericides, and dyestuffs. A direct use of 1,2-dichloro-4-nitrobenzene is not known in the Sponsor
country. 1,2-Dichloro-4-nitrobenzene is not contained in products registered in the Danish, Finnish, Norwegian,
Swedish and Swiss Product Registers.
Way More.

 
At 6:25 PM , Blogger Didymus (der Blinde) said...

Heard this today, thought of you, and laughed:

"May 12 angels gard you while you sleep, maybe that's a waist of angels, I don't know. I'd do anything to keep you safe . . ."

See if you can place the reference.

 
At 7:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,

As you can imagine, I was inspired and touched to hear you speaking about love and community...seems like that was right where we started all those years ago...

I am happy to hear you are learning so much over there...maybe you should write a book when you get back? "To a box, and back again." Alright, that part was sort of a joke, but I really do think you could put a great book together when you get back...

Life here has remained about the same, up and down for me...I feel as if I am at a major crossroads, not just occupationally speaking, but more so spiritually...I have really struggled with my walk as the months have continued, and am at place where I hear God saying all or nothing, rely on me or rely on you...there is no in between in any part of your life...it is with great difficulty that I have traveled through this time, with no end in sight...I feel as if my world is crumbling around me.

And yet, there are moments of inspiration and light coupled with doubt, fear, and distraction,...but I guess no one ever said it would be easy did they?

Anyhow, thanks for being so faithful in sharing what you have learned during your time away...it is encouraging to hear of the Lord's work in your life, and in the lives of all you come accross...each time I find myself up late at night heading to a coffee shop, (or a Winchells) I think of you, or when I walk on to a frisbee field and find myself looking for those familar syracuse shorts.

Phil, know that you are missed...

Fricka

 
At 6:21 PM , Blogger sweet action said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:16 AM , Blogger sweet action said...

Deja: Thank you for the prayers to stay in the moment. Because this response is so delayed I am able to say that, I think they were effective. Near the end I was to stay in the moment with much greater ability than when I requested the prayers. Thank you. Also, I am excited that you watched waking life (or, in the time frame of this post, that you will watch waking life). Thanks also for sharing with me about your time in Switzerland; it is so cool to hear other people's stories about something when you are struggling with it.

Kelly: Your prayers are something I have counted on. Thank you for giving me such a privilege. Also, I am so curious to hear more about San Fran.

Madelyn (aka. Maddog): WOw! It is so sweet to hear from you. I am so glad to know that you got the blog address and have been checkin stuff out and what not. I am so stoked to see you this summer. I am sad that I will not be around during your spring break to enable some sweet chill time, but I suppose it is just more to look forward to this summer. I don't get a much of chance to communicate with you so I will take this opportunity to say that you are missed out west. After you left, and before I went to Africa, their were many an occasion when your presence was requested, and all that was their was, was a madalyn shaped void... I am glad that reading the blog is giving you a better feel for missions. For me, I think the blog is giving me a better feel for myself. It is weird writing this thing that everyone can read...i'm not used to being so exposed. Thank you for your prayers as I am always in great need. Take care friend. I hope to see you soon.

Anonymous: Well, I suppose I shall start by saying. Thank you. Thank you for sharing what you are thinking about. It encourages me to hear about how are others are trying to process, and live this thing: Christianity. To answer your last question first, I should be home on the 22nd or 23rd of March (at least that is the plan I am hoping for).
As for what I think about the seemingly ascetic, occasional urge to love the difficult or the frustrating, and whether or not that is God's Spirit or you trying to be heroic... To love someone (or something for that matter) depends on your intent on loving them. Are you trying to love them? Or are you worried about some abstract value judgement on your own intentions? I think the confusion that arises stems from a question that need not be asked. When one is loving are they not consumed with just that: love? If your love is unconditional why is it worried about questions of heroism, or God's Spirit? If it is true what we read in the letters of John that God is love, then if you are loving then God's Spirit is moving. I would allow that spirit to continue to move by not confusing yourself with self-doubt. By loving you are expressing God.
I know what you are saying about doing things that are hard joyfully...frick. I always think about how useless it is to do those things if I am not doing them without joy. It is like if I am helping others, but in a begrudging sort of way then why do it at all? However, I find when I am conscious of myself doing these things I tend to be humbled and I become more willing, less protective, and enabled to do things for others with just a bit more joy. I think that crap is a process for sure.
I think it is hard to determine if it is noble or not to put ourselves in difficult situations for the sake of others, and then ask if it is self-centered bc, in part, we are doing it to improve ourselves. I think the main difficulty arises when we lose sight of the image of God in ourselves (i think). I mean, if it is true that we are to be transforming more into who God created us to be, and we are being drawn into the trinity from afar like a magnetic pull or something, then our growth as a person is toward God; that is to say, it is worship. I think we need to stop asking about our selfishness in 'building our character' and worrying about what others think, and begin asking about the the secret, difficult pursuits of the Christian life. Maybe, when we are consumed with that pursuit the question of the pursuit of God being a selfish one vanishes.
Without community this is impossible, or at least I have not heard any success stories yet. Even the white martyrs of the desert like Simon of Stylites, who built a super tall column and sat on the top for forty years praying, was birthed and taught out of community. (I think its funny how he ran away from everyone, but that's another story).
I have been learning through college how being open with those in your life is essential to the Christian life. The motivation for community, midst a life of change and travel, is the reason that this blog exists, and by you sharing as you have you are surmounting that problem you have expressed as maybe having to go through some of the hardest questions in life alone. As God gives us the example of the 3 in 1 as perfect community, we too are meant to live fully with each other.
Thank you for your honesty it is encouraging to me, and invokes me to be more honest with the questions I have.

paul: I have spare brain...plenty. The problem is fricken technology. I began to write a response to you and I have no way to retrieve it off the ipaq dude. the second problem is time, I never had time to finish it. I have a lot to say about your comments, but, because I lack the technology and time to do something about it, they will have to wait.

Paul: yeah...that's what she said...

Paul: ...your the one, you broke my heart, you made me cry. I recommend rewinding that album to the song 'darling lorraine' and singing the lyrics loud, especially the part about 'what! you don't like the way I chew' - paul simon is so fun.

Elwood: Thank you sooo much for your honesty/your post. Your words make me feel like we are actually sitting having a conversation and I can hear you saying them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home