Tuesday, February 14, 2006

notes from Africa, chapter 10

As Alice Cooper so eloquently put it, "school's out for summer, school's out forever."

Yesterday was my last day of teaching. It defenitely was not a normal day: I taught (actually I taught a super short lesson, brought in my video camera and we had 'fun with video') in the morning, recieved a few valentines from a few choice african girls, and then we had a staff meeting over lunch. The staff meeting felt more like a pow-wow; each teacher, moving in counter clockwise arournd the circle of desks, took some time to a say few words about Timm and I, Timm and I spoke for a little while about our experiences at the school, and then we spoke of ways to improve the school in the future. It was a sad and wonderful. It was wonderful because it was a real ending. I love when things in my life have resolution, as opposed to just fading away. I fear things just fading, or as I spoke of in an earlier blog, just falling apart.

I had a similar, much more emotional experience at my last church service this past Sunday. I spoke for a while, Timm said a few words, about ten people from the came up and said some things.... And, then, in the middle of this extremely bitter-sweet moment one of the pastors of the the church, that Timm and I do not really even know, gets up and proceeds to explain how we must share a table with him like Christ shared a table with his disciple's (which translates to having a fanta), all-the-while forgetting our names and telling us that when we get back to London(?) we need to look up a billionare for him so his church can be as big as some other church he mentioned. It was so stupid, but pretty much on par with the way I have experienced Africa. Irony and the temptation to think that my life is a joke constantly tries to sneak into my life, convincing me that my life is inconsequential in a Nihilism sort of way; but I have learned that Irony has not the ability to corrupt that it which is most sacred to me.

I want so badly to share more with you now. I want to tell you have my struggles with confessing all that I have experienced to myself ,and moreover confessing how I have dealt with what I have seen. Each day I seem to change my approach to so much. Once again, the 'radical' nature of the Gospel is challenging my course of action here: how I deal with people, institutions, the best way to help... A couple nights ago I think I believed in God particpating in my life; that is to say, I felt the wieght of him. It was odd, and mostly scary. It was like just for a few moments I actually believed so strongly that what I do this life, my actions/thoughts, Matter. It was not like I was scared because I thought something was going to happen to me or anything, I just felt exposed and confronted and I saw how insincere I am with so much of my life. I want so badly to scurry in the shadows, being in the light is wierd - I am obviously not used to it. I am learning the importance of living a confessional life. Confession is probably my least favirote thing (out of all that is difficult and progressive in the Christian life), however it is, I think, the most freeing. I have been trying to avoid confession for so long, and will continue, (it helps that my tradition as I have experienced it leaves little to no room for it) but I am learning how "awe-filled" (if that works) it can be. It feels like it is something that actually changes something in your meaningful self, and you can see direct results in how you live.

Okay, I honestly need to go. I am late. I am leaving in like an hour to try and snag a hooptie van up to mt. Kenya, and I still have a ton to do. I don't know when the next time I will be able to get the internet will be, it will be at least a week.

I am giddy-excited to get up on the mountain and feel a little more at home.

I am grateful beyond what I can write on this blog for your comments, challenging encouragement, for being a part of this journey.
As things transition now into the unknown I would like to leave you with a poem. It simply conveys how I feel this blog has functioned within the dynamic relationship I am blessed with those reading.

I love you.

Scaffolding: Seamus Heaney

Masons, when they start upon a building,
Are careful to test out the scaffolding;

Make sure that planks won't slip at busy points,
Secure all ladders, tighten bolten joints.

And yet all this comes down when the job is done,
Showing off walls of sure and solid stone.

So if, my dear, there seems to be
Old bridges breaking between you and me,

Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall,
Confident that we may have built our wall.

P.S. I will, without question, respond to the comments currently back logged. I am a bit ashamed, but time has been ever-illusive lately.

10 Comments:

At 9:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the most beautiful poem ever.

 
At 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Phil- it was so good to hear from you! we miss you a ton and can't wait to catch up with over some caribou or perhaps a little bar b que on the new deck. what do ya say? Anyways, your words are inspiring and i can't wait to hear your stories in more detail and in person. have fun in oxford and say hi to england for me!
we miss you!
Tay and Bill (and the baby)

 
At 11:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

PHiliO!
And he was like Emilio!

Damnit, I just saw your piture and said that word and smiled, and yelled. Phil can i tell you a story!

A morning of Jackson's Joel

Joel, on a whim with a crammed car and, like wheelbarrow wheels, slugged northward. Love on the mind, ideal love, universal love, love for all humanity, but in the end I need to be loved, most all the time. Joel, placed his laundry bin upon the pleasant married carpet and went immediately to work.

Coffee, coffee, that addiction which ladens people's hearts with speed-joy. HAAAA After completely loving saying hi, asking what dreams people had and what was the best part of their day and creating dognut sandwhiches. Then the man shot me, fired, a week later and a redemptive love letter later, rehired.

I fell in love. A curly haired woman, one with whom mutual affection and universal dreams enhanced were shared. Enamored, a week later, our communication ceased, saline rivulets filled my creased cheeks, i hurt, i longed, pure, "God," I pleaded, "I want to know this emotion, purity." While this crease filled, Yo yo ma played my favorite dancing song, I Danced!. I danced with pain streaming down, shocked. I still haven't talked with her, but hope blooms. Your fertilizer for blooming. You taught our house to hug, smile, dance, make forts. I love forts. DAMNIT. FORTS WOOO>

Phil. I now am about to again be fired, because i ask too deep of questions. HMMMMM Drama.

Phil, I miss you. Are you OK? Have you found something that you would call treasure? Who's eyes do you see from? tell me stories. We will go to the mountians, where friendship paramount arises, and create Douglas fir forts, call them love dens, and invite Jesus. Maybe we could bring cold cans of vienna sausage, and throw them at approching bears as ammo. Damn, Your a beautiful child with whom i experience freedom, creation of a better world.

I long for you (something tells me i shouldn't write that, HAAA)
JOEL

 
At 9:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so mountain climbing, hooptie riding, teacher man - thats about the best life ever. i hope right now you're in the elements rocking it on mt kenya. that's so sweet - mts are amazing. so anyways i imagine you swinging the ice axes away and doing some wicked incredible route. i've read a bunch of articles as of late on that mt and it looks menacing and beautiful. but the articles i've read are all about global warming and how the snow of mt kenya is being depleted every year. so shoot, you're hitting it just right, um anyways.
so i'm in jackson with our beautiful brother joel and we're pondering the amazing possibilities of exploring in these mts. yes... chris' dog is sitting on my pillow, my face will smell like dog tomorrow. joel's gotta poop. yes, these are the wyoming adventures.
live it up man- african mts are sweet. i love you brother -
do a cartwheel for golden on mt kenya - yep - loren

 
At 1:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Philly cheese steak-I really enjoy reading about your stories and listening to your musings. At first I had a whole lot to say about your writings and if you were here it would take hours for me to unload my thoughts...but then it seemed a bit trifling compared to all God is showing you and all that you are experiencing. So I'll keep it simple as I often like to do. Daniel and I are lovingly praying for you! (I know you'll understand hehehe).

Kris

 
At 5:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Confession - yeah I think I avoid it a lot, but when it happens especially in community, I think cleansing and forgiveness come that never could in another way. I'm learning a lot about community. SanFran is amazing, I went last weekend and stayed with the church community I will live with. They love each other intensely. They know each others faults and nobody is perfect at all. That's how I know I'll fit in.
I'm looking forward to just talking, this commenting thing is alright but I'm glad you are coming back sometime. I hope climbing is good and what you need. I'm praying.
Peace,
Kelly

 
At 10:36 AM , Blogger Didymus (der Blinde) said...

Twenty Six minutes my eye!

Frikin cheap fricka frick card.

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger Didymus (der Blinde) said...

hello? Blogface??

Anybody out there?

Just nod if you can hear me . . .

 
At 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was on Wikipedia the other day...looked up the word "christian" and it said "A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. There are different interpretations of what exactly that entails, however. In any case, Christians by definition are a part of Christianity." simple- right? reading your thoughts reminds me to turn and follow.

-ah- I look forward to just sitting with you...dont really know what else to say bout that.

Lent begun today- it's good.
zpvyeoq,
Scotland

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger sweet action said...

Anonymous: yeah, it paints the picture and says the things I want.

Tay: caribou...bar b q at your place...i'm in!!! Wow, that sounds so unbelievably appealing to me right now. Fear not, I have said hello to the old British isle of England for ya. I am so stoked to get back there, hang with you guys, and see your pregnant belly. I hope you are feeling healthy these days. It is great to hear from you. Take care.

Jackson's Joel: I love your stories, they make me grow smiles ear to ear as if i were the Grinch who stole Christmas. Reading your message makes me feel loved. I got done reading it in a drab, work-forced, computer lab atmosphere, and it made me feel like I just got away with something.
Joel. Frick man. It will be good to see you in person. I want to hear you tell your stories in person. It sucks when your questions get you in trouble, doesn't it. Like the time that story you told me about that idiot pulled over and claimed you flicked him off while you were on your way home from work. That dude was unbelievable. But then you started asking him some questions that mattered...what happened when you did that? he started to threaten you, and didn't he claim to have a gun or something? idiot.
Anyway, i am okay. I think I have found something I would call treasure: the ability to move. After leaving africa I was paralyzed. I could really function. I wanted to be back there, I was not done. Then, I thought if I am not in africa I should be home, then I thought if I am not in africa, or not at home then i should be visiting my friend Ben in uzbekistan, BUT i am in fricken England. My first week in England I couldn't move. I could not admit that I was actually living life still, I felt like I was just in a weird in between time and there was no room for me to move. The treasure I have found is the ability to admit that I am still existing in real time, and I can pursue God and my dreams even now.
SO...As for a story...I went to Norway. I am typing to you now at U of Oslo in Norway. This place is crazy. There are huge piles of snow everywhere, my fingers are almost to frozen to type, and I just went for an joy-filled hike around this lake where everybody and their sister were X-country skiing across it. I didn't think I was going to see any snow this year. i'm stoked.
You taught me how to be uninhibited and honest with those in my life. thank you. I cant wait to throw cold cans of vienna sausage at bears from the secret attack window of our kickass organic fort. We will pack up all our stories, ideas, and intentions along with some awesome snacks and party with Jesus until we can't handle the joy anymore.

Loren: you fricken lovemonger. I am sad to know that your face will smell like dog tomorrow, but then again...it does make me laugh. I picture you up there in Jackson, bringing joel the lorenlove, and thinking of new ways that you two will rock the Wyoming playground. Mt. Kenya was amazing; it was epic; one of the best of my life no doubt. It was beautiful, unpredictable and huge. It is a hilarious sight because it is not really in a mountain range, it is just kinda out there amongst flat ground. It the sight of a huge mound with a comparatively small nipple, which is the summit. I loved hiking it soo much. Part of it was that it just felt good to be cold.
I think about you in Golden and smile, I am so curious to know what life is like for you now. Well, I guess it is not too far off that I will find out. I few short weeks and I will be back in Golden. Yup, I think I will be there on March 22nd, at least thats the plan as of now. Welp. I love you.

Kris: Hey, its great to hear from you. Thank you for the loving prayers, they are the best kind. Maybe sometime we will get the chance to sit down and talk about all your musings - I would like that; but I guess until then I will keep it simple to: Thank you, I hope things are moving at an amazing trajectory in your life, and tell Daniel I send my greetings.

Kelly: It is a scary thought for me to live in a community like that; a community where everyone shares themselves which each other in the raw. I think that some different level of you is exposed when you live with someone. Some things, although you would like to, are just impossible to hide from the people you live with, and then.. to go and enter a community where you all live together and are intentional about confessing to each other! crazy. I am excited for you, I think that takes a lot of courage. I am confident you will not leave that place (if you ever leave) the same.

Paul: Stupid phone cards...tweny-six minutes...yeah...who came up with that number? an expert from yale.

Paul: I swear I am still alive just without a computer. Don't worry when i do come it will be like that dude in monty python that is running toward the castle. you know what i am talking about, where the guard is just chillin as he runs from afar to save that effeminate dude in the tower. yeah.

Scotland: Is not wikipedia so fricken cool? Adam, I am encouraged to know that my thoughts remind you to turn and follow. However, for me, just thinking about you spurs me on to turn and follow. Just thinking about the way you live your life no matter where you are, or what stage your at. I think about us just sitting talking and I just have end up with a funny, odd looking grin on my face sighing a long sigh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home